our puppy turns two in less than two weeks! personally it’s hard for me to believe that we’ve actually had her that long and even more unbelievable that we’ve made it this long without any serious incidents (albeit the clay pigeon episode). this calls for celebration! (cody and i really are capable of keeping something alive!)
although i wouldn’t trade her for the world she is a tremendous amount of work. in the short time we’ve had her i’ve learned these few things to be certain.
|an allie selfie 🙂
no noise is bad news 90% of the time. allie has a bad habit of digging holes and de-stuffing pillows. when it’s quiet we often find ourselves concerned that one of the former is taking place because, as we’ve found, it often is. the other 10% of the time she is sleeping. we wrongly think she’s sleeping 90% of the time. therein lies the problem. we have no more suitable pillows and our yard is full of mini craters.
the house will never be spotless again. as a super a-type personality getting used to the fact that i couldn’t reasonably stay on top of all the little white floating hairs and paw prints without quitting my day job was hard. we vacuum constantly though i’m not sure you’d know it. 😦
once she discovered her voice that will was the end of all peaceful nights, conversations, and meals. allie now yawns loudly, grumbles when she doesn’t get a table scrap, whimpers when she wants something, and barks uncontrollably at anything that moves. maybe here’s where i should mention i think she thinks she’s a human for more reasons than just this one.
she’s changed our life forever. allie is just as much as part of our family as cody and i; that includes our extended families. she makes us laugh every day and keeps us on our toes. she finds joy in the simplest of things and is our little buddy. she cries when we leave and wiggles uncontrollably when we return. there’s seriously no love like a dog’s love!
|the day we took her home – she stole my heart!
happy birthday allie!
i’ve always been a girly girl, even during that awkward time between 10 and 12 when i experienced a very regrettable ‘tomboy’ phase. i’ve always enjoyed dressing up and acting feminine. it’s probably one of the many reasons i have such fond memories of the easter holiday.
as a little girl i always had an ‘easter dress’, in fact it was the dress that excited me more than the basket of goodies the bunny left behind or the thrill of going to grandma’s to see my cousins. the simplicity of showing it off at sunday school on that special day made me grin from ear to ear. maybe it’s because i didn’t get an abundance of dresses or maybe it was because it was an entire outfit but, it made me so happy. from my frilly socks to the gloves on my arms i wore each perfectly coordinated ensemble with pride.
at some point, probably between 10 and 12, i quit getting excited about dresses. period. not until recently have i really embraced their liberating allure. when i saw this slouchy dress on Forever21’s website, for only $22.80, i knew i had to have it for the upcoming weekend. with it’s floral print and long flowy sleeves it seemed the perfect ‘easter dress’.
so here’s a post about what it’s like to live with my spouse: an engineer by trade, a conservative, uber calm man by nature, and one of the most organized and collected people i’ve ever met. previously i’ve mentioned that i adore my husband’s logical and realistic ways but, i should have also noted that these qualities they can drive me completely mad at times. especially since i’m more the completely open and impulsive type.
-days later we finish conversations. that’s because he usually needs time to process his thoughts. really?! i just asked if you wanted to go to jimmy johns. 😦
-cody goes with the flow. this works well since I’m generally more high-strung. in truth this makes my life more pleasant….as well as the lives of those around us.
-he is not a gossiper so we don’t gossip. i like gossiping. i think it’s entertaining, if it’s not hurtful or unkind. it’s good bonding if you ask me. of course, i still share my opinions and ask for his but it’s generally a one-sided conversation. boring!
-when we plan trips, or anything really, he makes sure all of the logistical bases are covered and leaves the fun stuff to me. major perk!
-getting him to open up is like breaking into fort knox. the man is locked up tight….unless he’s in an uncharacteristically chatty mood. chatty moods are rare but when they occur they can be hours long conversations. i generally grab a snack.
-everything goes in a spreadsheet. EVERYTHING!
-ironically enough the only time my husband isn’t – all qualities listed above – is when it comes to the dog. this is how i know he’ll make a good dad someday.
even if he pushes my buttons at times, i do love him. the end. xoxo